This is my oh-so humble contribution to the blogosphere. My wife and I moved from West Texas to Waitakere New Zealand, because we were becoming content with the routine of life and that scared the Hell out of us. This blog updates friends and family at home. I also write what occurs to me when I feel like it. If it appears that the blog has Multiple Personality Disorder, it does. My wife and I both contribute.

Sunday, March 11, 2007

Pasifantastik

Hi guys. We know now what it is like to live in a big city (the largest in the Southern Hemisphere we are told).

It was a full day yesterday in Auckland -- full of crowds. First, we went to the Pasifika Festival, where some 200,000 other people went to celebrate Pacific cultures. Each culture had a huge section with food booths, craft booths and a stage. There were Tongans, Samoans, Nuieans, Cook Islanders, and so forth. It was a sweltering, teeming mass of sweaty brown flesh. That was actually one of the things that really struck us -- how many islanders and how few Pakeha (white people) were at the Festival. I guess I expected it to be a chance for Islanders to share their cultural heritage with non-Islanders, but the vast majority of attendees were Islanders.


Despite the heat and the crowds, the Festival did not disappoint. The music was marginal, and some was very bad. The crafts varied widely between beautiful hand-crafted treasures and dollar-store imitations. But the food ... the food. The smells assaulted you from every side. Lots of fish and shellfish. Mindy and I had mussel fritters, but there was also raw fish, fish curries, and endless tubs of fish goo. We still have not gotten used to all the seafood eaten here, so the mussel fritters were a safe compromise.

We also had a watermelon filled with fruit salad and ice cream.

The real lessons yesterday came in the area of transportation. Traffic was insane. We had been warned that parking was an impossibility, so we took the bus. With no air-conditioning and stand-still traffic for the last 5 kilometers, we were grateful to embark into the less stifling heat of the festival. When it was time to leave, the bus stop we needed was already overtaken with several bus loads of people waiting for the bus we needed. Plus, that bus stop was in the sun. In true Texas fashion, we decided to take whatever bus was stopping at the shaded bus stop. It took us in the opposite way of home, but close to a train station. So we bussed it across town and took the air-conditioned train home.

Then last night, there was a fireworks production (I dare say not a fireworks show, because it wasn't) in the Auckland Domain (huge park downtown). There were 60,000 in attendance at the fireworks event. We took the train to the event. It was so funny to watch people getting on the train with lawn chairs and chilly bins (ice chests). We left home at 5:30 pm for a 7:30 show start and the train was already packed. However, the real fun came when it was time to leave. I can truly say that watching 60,000 people evacuate an area at the same time is a site to behold.

We were near the back and got a jump on the bulk of the crowd, but were still in a massive crowd of people exiting the event. When we got to the road, the crowd was just walking down the road, across the whole thing (sidewalk to sidewalk). No cars were going to be moving around the park for a very long time. We high-tailed it to the train station with about 2,000 of our closest friends. We beat most and got to the station just in time to catch what I bet was the last train that was not bulging at the seams.

HERE are all the the pictures from that day. The weird ones were taken while waiting for the train.

3 Comments:

Blogger kiwichick said...

In true New Zealand fashion there was ONE hotdog(corndog)/American hotdog/hot chip (french fries) stand for 60,000 people. I decided that this was as close to a 4th of July celebration as I was going to get for a while and decided to treat myself to a corndog--and maybe there was a bit of a pregnancy craving going on as well. So we bartered with the people sitting next to us to watch our stuff and in return we would bring their kids back glow-sticks. We walked across the park to the ONE hot foods stand and finally found the end of the line of about 150-200 people in each of 2 lines. Brandon, who was not having a corndog, opted for the coffe line of about 15 people and returned to watch our pallet. It was actually a very enjoyable wait because I met a lady in front of me who is Maori, but grew up in TEXAS! She said as soon as she heard our accents she started craving Arby's roast-beef sandwiches. By the time we finally reached the stand we decided that had we had more money we would've bought 20 of each thing and sold it to the end of the line people for twice the price. The line was so long and such a wait that coalitions started forming to keep cheaters from cutting in line. 2 ladies tried sneak into my coalition and were almost attacked and killed instantly. I tried to play good cop and inform them that the line actually started WAY down there, and that it was a long wait, and people would get very upset if they tried to sneak in, but they completely ignored me. So I got the heck out of the way and 2 women behind me attacked them! One started flailing her hands at them and shouting "LEAVE, GET OUT OF HERE!" The very wide-eyed ladies ran for their live's. Then a mother tried to sneak her son into line with us. The lady in front of me looked sternly at him as he crept his way through us and said, "You can get in line just like the rest of us, now get back there." It was a little scary, but after about a 45 minute wait I came out victorious with a corndog, hotchips, and a coke. Maybe those New Zealander's do know about capitalism because by the time people reached the front everyone's orders had doubled or tripled!

12:29 PM

 
Blogger Cyndi Hughs said...

i'm glad you survived the ordeal...but here in Alaska you could have depended on being able to move ahead in line because of your pregnant belly!
I went to Fred Myers today and my checker had the heavy southern accent. As soon as I stepped up she asked where I was from and then hollered over to the next checker, "we have another southerner here"...resulting in exchanges of where we were from and how cold it was. One was from Kentucky and one from Tennessee (I don't know how to spell that)....I swear the longer I talked to them the heavier my drawl got...I could hear it happening and I tried to "talk right" but that just made everything worse!
Thanks for sharing the pictures...I was tired of the epicenter picture. It's much nicer looking and Mindy and that dancer who, I think, is the sister to a couple of women that work at the clinic.

4:16 PM

 
Blogger MamaKB said...

Coconut ice cream! That sounds wonderful! I wonder if Ben & Jerry's makes anything like that...

4:36 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home