This is my oh-so humble contribution to the blogosphere. My wife and I moved from West Texas to Waitakere New Zealand, because we were becoming content with the routine of life and that scared the Hell out of us. This blog updates friends and family at home. I also write what occurs to me when I feel like it. If it appears that the blog has Multiple Personality Disorder, it does. My wife and I both contribute.

Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Orwellian Doublethink



I am rereading George Orwell's Nineteen Eighty-Four. With mock horror I am finding that the book perfectly tracks American domestic and foreign policy in the last 5-6 years.

Specifically apropos is the accusation leveled by the mythical rebel leader "Goldstein" that Oceania remains in a perpetual state of war with the dual purpose of (1) uselessly expending the nation's production surplus to artificially maintain the unequal balance of power and (2) pacifying the proletariat with war fever and infectious (though artificial) patriotism.

While mulling over the inescapable similarities between Big Brother and the US Government, I see this clip of George Bush on the Daily Show. If there were any doubt in my mind, it was quickly vanquished by the seamless use of Doublethink by our intrepid leader.

1 Comments:

Blogger Cyndi Hughs said...

OK....I looked at the clip. I have recovered from laughing hysterically!!
Once I recover from laughing I am almost humiliated that that is the leader of the USA...the only thing that saves be from total distress it the knowledge that at least the American people didn't elect him-his daddy and his brother bought him the presidency.....oh, NO...that was the first time. We DID actually elect him the second time. OH>>>>>I am really ready to flee the country after all!!!
But, come on Brandon, surely no one expects intelligence, truth and honesty from the president that manipulated the lies that got us into Iraq (remember the "weapons of mass destruction" story and the mobile 18 wheelers carrying these horrible weapons around the deserts of Iraq???. I think his legacy will be double talk and bafoonery (I don't actually know how to spell that word...if it is a word).

7:12 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home