This is my oh-so humble contribution to the blogosphere. My wife and I moved from West Texas to Waitakere New Zealand, because we were becoming content with the routine of life and that scared the Hell out of us. This blog updates friends and family at home. I also write what occurs to me when I feel like it. If it appears that the blog has Multiple Personality Disorder, it does. My wife and I both contribute.

Monday, September 11, 2006

Why orange you peeling it with a knife? (by Mindy)

Brandon and I have been fighting oranges, tangerines, and every other small orange, jucy fruit they have down here. We have been trying to peal them by hand, like we do in Texas. By the time we finish "peeling" there is nothing left but a horrifying globular mess and juice dripping down our arms. Exhausted we try to suck the remaining fruit off of the peel and lick our arms to try to feel like we've eaten an orange. We have even received injuries--The peel is so tough that your fingernail bends backwards and orange juice shoots up into the wound. Very painful. We kept complaining about our skills at picking out fruit thinking we were just getting bad fruit. Just when our fruit-picking-self-esteem was about to bottom out I took an orange for lunch (okay, Brandon packed me an orange for lunch). I watched two of my lunch mates peel their oranges with knives and thought "those crazy Kiwis, peeling their oranges with a knife". I then went began the ritualistic sacrifice of my orange. Fingernails were ripping back, juice was shooting everywhere I was crying a little bit and I heard someone say, "Haven't you figured out you can't peel New Zealand oranges like that?" and handed me a knife. And a napkin. Okay a couple of towles. They explained that they don't have that fancy breeding we have in the states that makes the skin easy to peel. I rushed home to Brandon grabbed his bandaged hands and cried out, "Don't lose another nail, don't get stung by juice again....USE A KNIFE!!"



On a brighter note, I have found the most amazing store!! It sales ice cream in the front and SHOES in the back!!! Need I say more?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home