This is my oh-so humble contribution to the blogosphere. My wife and I moved from West Texas to Waitakere New Zealand, because we were becoming content with the routine of life and that scared the Hell out of us. This blog updates friends and family at home. I also write what occurs to me when I feel like it. If it appears that the blog has Multiple Personality Disorder, it does. My wife and I both contribute.

Monday, December 04, 2006

A Kiwi Jingle Bells

Found this at my school--enjoy! :)

Dashing to the bay, In a Kombi campervan,
Christmas at the beach--The family's master plan.

Dad is at the wheel, And Mum sits by his side,
We kids are squabbling in the back, As we go for a ride.

Oh jingle bells, jingle bells, jingle all the way,
Christmas in New Zealand
on a sunny summer's day,
Ay!
Jingle bells, jingle bells, jingle all the way,
Oh what fun it is to have a Kiwi holiday

We stop off at the shops, to load the chilly bin,
Hokey-pokey ice cream soon dribbles down my chin.

We jump into the van, heading for the shore,
Dad fiddles with the radio to hear the cricket score.

(Chorus)

Soon we're at the beach, Our rellies shout "G'day"
We swap our Chrissie pressies, A boogie board--Hooray!

We change into our togs and to the sea we run...
What a joy to splash and swim, Summer's so much fun!

(Chorus)

The grown-ups call us in, They've laid us out a spread:
Lunch is fish n chips, and cheerios in bread.

L&P to drink Pavlova, pud and pie,
Anzac bikkies, choccy fish it's cracker Kiwi Kai!

(chorus)

The kids are keen to play, but the dads all want to nap,
The sunscreen starts to fly,
As Mums go slip--slop--slap.

We race out to the sand, to play a game of touch,
But all the cuzzies are too slow, Because they ate too much!

(chorus)

The barbcue heats up, the sun begins to sink,
Our tea's as good as gold,
We've scoffed it in a wink.

It's nearly time for bed, We've had an awesome day,
Celebrating Christmas time the real New Zealand way!

5 Comments:

Blogger Cyndi Hughs said...

What fun! I don't understand half of what it's talking about and can't get it to fit the song tune for the life of me (of course, I can't sing!)...but, it's ever so much fun to hear the Kiwi way of Christmas in the Kiwi language.

4:47 AM

 
Blogger kiwichick said...

chilly bin-ice chest
Chrissie pressies-Christmas presents
Toggs-swim suit
rellies-reletives
cuzzies-cousins
Pavlova-?? (Traditional Kiwi Christmas dessert, Where eating it tomorrow so I'll be able to report back then!)
Kiwi Kai--traditional Kiwi food

Does that help? :)

8:02 PM

 
Blogger Cyndi Hughs said...

Thank you...I'll try the song again and see if I get a better picture of what those people are doing out there on the beach.

5:02 AM

 
Blogger Brandon said...

Yeah, it sort of sums things up Christmas wise here.

I think Mindy's explanation left out:

"Cracker" (as in "cracker Kiwi Kai), means something like "good New Zealand homecookin'."

Also the "tea" referred to at the end of the song is not the drink, but refers to the evening meal. I don't exactly understand it yet, but every meal, snack or break is a "tea" -- morning tea, afternoon tea, high tea, evening tea, etc.

3:30 PM

 
Blogger kiwichick said...

The pavlova is WONDERFUL!! It is morangue topped with whipped cream so the outside is very crispy and then it gets all cremey and strawberries are stuck on the top. It was really interesting and SWEET!!!

8:45 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home