This is my oh-so humble contribution to the blogosphere. My wife and I moved from West Texas to Waitakere New Zealand, because we were becoming content with the routine of life and that scared the Hell out of us. This blog updates friends and family at home. I also write what occurs to me when I feel like it. If it appears that the blog has Multiple Personality Disorder, it does. My wife and I both contribute.

Friday, November 24, 2006

Thanksgiving in New Zealand

Although it was not too easy, we managed to pull off a rough semblance of a Thanksgiving dinner in a country that does not celebrate the holiday. We used an organic, free-range chicken rather than a turkey. The side dished were sweet potato casserole, cornbread dressing, and pink salad. Here are pictures.



Posted by Picasa

6 Comments:

Blogger kiwichick said...

It wasn't just "pulled off" it was a grand slam!!! Despite having to make all kinds of strange substitutes, Brandon made the most delicious meal!! Kudos to the cook :)

8:38 PM

 
Blogger Cyndi Hughs said...

Wow, That looks wonderful! I envy your cornbread dressing-I had stuffing and it just wasn't the same as good ol' cornbread dressing....this looks wonderful! Good job, Brandon!

8:40 PM

 
Blogger Cyndi Hughs said...

Let me explain myself! My Thanksgiving dinner was wonderful and the stuffing was delicious!!! It's the family tradition thing...Thanksgiving is not the same without the cornbread dressing I have spent generations watching the elder women of the family making! It's not about taste it's about family!!! The problem is that I am too lazy as a cook to do all that work so the tradition may die out unless Debbie carries it on after mother....who, of course, will be doing it for a lot longer!!!

9:48 PM

 
Blogger kiwichick said...

Yep, we found the jello and I hand whipped cream for cool whip--brandon was nervous that it wasn't going to taste same to me, but it did! Everything was a taste of home!

9:14 AM

 
Blogger Cyndi Hughs said...

Even if he is my son, I have to say it sounds like you have a pretty special husband

8:15 PM

 
Blogger Olivia said...

I was trying to post a comment and it got erased, so I am hoping this one is not a repeat! I am so blessed to see you are doing well to! A little Kiwi is such a great this, especially since you and your wife are very precious people. I want to take an opportunity to tell you how thankful I am for you and all you have done for me. I have so much that has changed in my life as well and I hope I can always be someone who shows people God is God throughout pain and sorrow as well and joy and happiness. I have come to a whole new chapter in my life and I know that no matter what I will trust in Him. I pray blessings over you as you are away. That you both will know what you do lives on in the hearts of those you touch! Take care of that wife...plenty of chocolate and foot rubs works if I remember correctly. I will be keeping up with you now that I know where to go!

12:31 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home