This is my oh-so humble contribution to the blogosphere. My wife and I moved from West Texas to Waitakere New Zealand, because we were becoming content with the routine of life and that scared the Hell out of us. This blog updates friends and family at home. I also write what occurs to me when I feel like it. If it appears that the blog has Multiple Personality Disorder, it does. My wife and I both contribute.

Friday, June 23, 2006

Waste Not, Want Warmth

I just finished hiking 2 km straight uphill to get to the library in Titrangi village. Mindy's use of the car, thus leaving me without one, has really cramped my style. I came with my memory stick loaded with pictures of our flat -- a work in progress. The pictures included our first meal in our new flat. However, the library computers are very picky about how they are handled, and do not allow me to upload photos.

So I will tell you about things and post pictures this weekend. Our flat is basically 4 rooms -- a large livingroom, a small bedroom, a decent-sized kitchen and a bathroom. The floors are wood in the LR and bedroom and clay tile in the kitchen and bathroom. There are huge windows in every room, including two large sliding-glass doors in the LR and one in the bedroom. These windows and doors provide beautiful views of the surrounding bush (rainforest and pine mixed).

Much to Mindy's chagrin, the bathroom has only a stand-up shower (which is the norm in NZ). Also, there is no central heating or AC (again the norm in NZ). The winters are so short and mild that people only use floorheaters (mostly the oil fin type). Summers are so mild that an open window is all that is required. We have two oil fin heaters and are about to freeze to death (which appears to be the norm in NZ).

I have been in no building or structure that is heated to the extend that it would be in the States. I Moari woman that works with Mindy stated that, while visiting her brother in Palestine, Texas in winter, she was most surprised by how warm the buildings were kept. It seems they just knock the chill off here, but do not "heat" their homes. This is compounded by the lack of insulation in the home construction. One reason may be the cost of electricity here. Another may be that Kiwi's are an efficient and conservative bunch. Every household recycles. "Approved" rubbish bags cost $1.30 each. If your rubbish is not in an approved bag, it is not picked-up. I have noticed that most homes generate 1-2 rubbish bags per week. Glass, plastic, paper, and cardboard are placed in large "dumpsters" issued to each house for recycling. Most homes have a "worm box" or compost bin for organic waste. It surprises me that, given all this efficiency, the homes are not better insulated and more energy-conscious.

To "reduce, reuse and recycle" is not a liberal, hippie thing here. It is a way of life that simply avoids waste. I am starting to see how much excess there is in America and am amazed by it. We (Americans) have a well-earned reputation world-wide for waste, overuse, and carelessness, but at least we are warm in our homes.

3 Comments:

Blogger kiwichick said...

Maori are the natives here in New Zealand. The best way I cant think to describe them is that they are like our Indians, only respected. Their cultures are very intertwined here with the rest of the country. Most signs are written in English and Maori. I'm sure B can give a better explenation, but that should sustain you for now! :)

Winter is generally June and July and may run a little into August. Everyone has told us that it is very uncommon for it to be this cold and rainy, especially this early in the winter. I haven't actually heard the temp today but I'm guessing it was low 40's with and added windchill that tore right through your bones! Brandon did rearrange the heaters and it was much warmer in the house when I got home--still need to wear sweats, but could be compfortable.

7:37 PM

 
Blogger Brandon said...

Yesterday (Friday) I woke up at 6:45 am and turned on the bathroom heater for Mindy. Then slipped back in the bed with her until 7:00. We both got up then and I made breakfast while she got ready. Once I got her off, I read in the bed until 10:00 am. Then I did some dishes. I walked into the village, which takes 30 minutes of hard walking. I went to the library there then to the coffee shop. I popped into the used book shop (which I finally found open). The owner is a very interesting middle-aged hippie named Murray. I spoke with him for about an hour about the literary scene in the village and about local books. We exchanged information. I bought three books. I popped into the dairy bar (aka "convenience store") and got some food staples and then headed back to the house. I picked up and read a bit more before Mindy arrived. Once we get more squared away, I will include writing in that list, but expect the days to be much like that for the next several weeks.

2:44 PM

 
Blogger kiwichick said...

AFter making the hike up the mountain into town today, brandon will not only have great legs and butt, but excellent blood pressure too! It is quite steep and has my a little worried about how I'm going to be jogging it! I guess I will work up to it slowly. We are also getting our fruits and veggies. I think my intake has increased by 50% at least! Something about this lifestyle has made me crave fruits and vegies.

6:26 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home