This is my oh-so humble contribution to the blogosphere. My wife and I moved from West Texas to Waitakere New Zealand, because we were becoming content with the routine of life and that scared the Hell out of us. This blog updates friends and family at home. I also write what occurs to me when I feel like it. If it appears that the blog has Multiple Personality Disorder, it does. My wife and I both contribute.

Monday, August 14, 2006

It's Raining, It's Pouring

The weather forecast here consists of "Rain" and four symbols: 1. A light cloud over a sun meaning it will rain, but there will be intermittent sun 2. A light gray cloud meaning it is going to drizzle off and on all day 3. A dark grey cloud meaning it is going to drizzle all day with intermittent heavy rain 4. A black cloud meaning it is going to rain so hard all day that the drops bounce of the ground and hit you in the face.

In our back yard there is a bed of red rocks that I thought looked like a little stream should run through it. Well, it is actually part of the drainage system for this side of the mountain and is currently a rushing river. It comes off the side of the mountain behind our bedroom and drops about a foot. After a dark grey cloud or black grey cloud day it sounds like a waterfall and has actually kept us awake at night! I was laughing to Brandon about Mudslides and couldn't believe there weren't any. The next day on the news 3 houses had fallen down and 3 more were waiting to go. I thought it was on the south Island, but it was actually about 20 minutes from us--I pass the area on my way to work! Even the ducks that live on our street waddle up and look longingly into our house through the windows.

The up side of all of this rain is the rainbows. I'm still amazed by how many there are and how brightly colored they appear. The other day on my way home from work I actually saw the end of the rainbow!!! Unfortunately there was no pot of gold or leprechauns, just mud.

2 Comments:

Blogger kiwichick said...

Thanks for the sun!! It was warm and sunny all day!!!

4:07 PM

 
Blogger kiwichick said...

Yes, we do have misquitos and they are the size of horses! Fortunately their girth slows them down a bit, so they are easier to kill :)

7:55 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home