This is my oh-so humble contribution to the blogosphere. My wife and I moved from West Texas to Waitakere New Zealand, because we were becoming content with the routine of life and that scared the Hell out of us. This blog updates friends and family at home. I also write what occurs to me when I feel like it. If it appears that the blog has Multiple Personality Disorder, it does. My wife and I both contribute.

Friday, August 11, 2006

Extra, Extra

I may have found a career that suits me. I have always wanted a job where my mere physical presence was enough. At one point in my legal career I had it. I could attend depositions and just listen. I wasn't really expected to ask any questions unless something unusual was said, which rarely happened. Unfortunately, one cannot make a career in the law doing this. It is reserved for associate attorneys in the first few years of practice. After that, they expect you to ask thoughtful questions.

I had contemplated a career as a parking garage attendant, but that has become automated. Also, it would require more than mere physical presence (taking money, interacting with overcharged customers, etc.), so it would not be the ideal job.

I am just home from a morning of work as a movie extra. I signed up with an agency called Background Talent that supplies extras for movies, TV, advertising, etc. I was booked for three hours this morning starting at 8:40 am. The shoot actually "wrapped" (that means shut down in the biz) at 10:35 am, but I was still paid for whole time. Of this 2 hours, I was on the scene being an extra for about 8 minutes. Perfect, all that was required was my physical presence -- nothing else.

The movie was a feature film in Chinese (so most of you won't see it). The scene was taking place in a "New York cafe," which was actually a trendy cafe on the Viaduct Harbor called Soul. Myself and 7 other extras served as cafe patrons. The real actors/esses were Chinese and I have no idea what the hell was going on in the scene.

I was sat at a table with a middle-aged woman (I guess they were thinking May-December romance) next to the real actors/esses. We had salads and wine (actually, Blackcurrant Juice). We sat there mouthing at each other for about 8 quick takes then we were done.

I spent the rest of the time journaling, visiting with my fellow extras (some real interesting folks), and getting cappicuino at the studio trailer. Because it was a Chinese production and most everyone was Chinese, there were all kinds of interesting things at the food table. Mostly just rows of styrofoam bowls of noodles (like Ramen). Those Chinese crew were slurping those noodles like crazy even at 9:00 am. The few members of the crew that were of European descent were much more interested in the espresso.

For my three hours (actually two), I will be paid $125. After the 20% agency fee, the $62 I spent on "New York" style clothes (because I had nothing); the $6 I spent on the train; and the $6 I spent at Starbuck, the job is not that profitable. I also had to pay a one-time agency fee of $100. So I am actually in the hole.

According to the other extras, there are usually several jobs a month -- sometimes several a week. All the extras at todays shoot had been at a shoot for a Visa commercial two weeks ago. They were all spectators at a rugby match. The shoot started at 11:00 pm and ended at 3:00 am. The extras were paid $350 each. They sat in the cold, but were allowed to dress warmly, hold hot water bottles (popular here), etc. so they weren't too miserable.

I will let you all know about future jobs as they come.

1 Comments:

Blogger kiwichick said...

Josh Hartnet is currently filming a horror movie right here in West Auckland. So maybe he'll get to be in that!!

3:49 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home