This is my oh-so humble contribution to the blogosphere. My wife and I moved from West Texas to Waitakere New Zealand, because we were becoming content with the routine of life and that scared the Hell out of us. This blog updates friends and family at home. I also write what occurs to me when I feel like it. If it appears that the blog has Multiple Personality Disorder, it does. My wife and I both contribute.

Saturday, June 10, 2006

Upon Arrival

Arrival at Auckland International Airport proves to be a surprisingly pleasant experience (unless you are carrying contraband). I appreciate the fact that New Zealand strictly regulates what comes into the country. I just hope Mindy and I pass inspection and are allowed to stay.


I recall the forests we witnessed in Belize that had been ravaged by the Pine Beetle, which was unwittingly imported from Asia. New Zealand has apparently learned from its history. I am told that, prior to its colonization, New Zealand had no land mammals. Colonists introduced several non-native species, including the rabbit. With no natural predators in New Zealand, the rabbits multiplied like … well rabbits, and quickly outnumbered the colonists. They grew very large and turned vicious, killing and maiming the unsuspecting colonists. Oh, I am sorry. That last part was from one of Mindy’s and my favorite classic films: “Night of the Leapers.” Check it out late at night on TBS (http://www.tbs.com).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home